HomeCITY NEWS22-year-old industrial worker died after gas leaked

LATEST TRENDING

22-year-old industrial worker died after gas leaked

MARGAO: A 22-year-old industrial worker died after inhaling ammonia gas that leaked out from a cold storage unit of a fish processing plant at Cuncolim industrial estate on Friday. The incident occurred at ‘Quality Foods’ around 3am. The workers affected were those who were asleep in the guest house of an adjoining industrial unit.

Four of the industrial workers who were found suffocating were shifted to Hospicio hospital, Margao. One of them, Krishen Kumar, a resident of UP, was declared brought dead, while another who was found to be critical was referred to the Goa Medical College (GMC), Bambolim. Two others were stated to be out of danger and were undergoing treatment at the hospital. Cuncolim PI Therron D’Costa said that the gas leakage occurred from one of the float valves of the cold storage unit.

The incident has brought to the fore the need to have health and safety standard operating procedures in place at the Cuncolim industrial estate. Pointing out that this was the second time that such an incident has occurred in the same industrial unit, the Cuncolim industries association has demanded that necessary preventive and corrective measures be put in place at the fish processing plant before the unit is allowed to reopen. “I have spoken to the chief inspector of factories and boilers,” said Abhay Keni.

The News24 Goa

TRENDING

spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img