Parts of Malappuram – a district in north Kerala – have been placed under “triple lockdown” – a containment strategy first implemented in Kerala’s Kasaragod district – to prevent further spread of the COVID-19 virus.
They were asymptomatic before being tested as part of the sentinel campaign – the random testing of healthcare officials and workers, as well as others on the frontlines of the battle against the novel coronavirus.
Chief Minister Vijayan said the “triple lockdown” had been implemented in Ponnani taluk of Malappuram from 5 PM Monday to midnight July 6 – a period of seven days.
“The government has decided to conduct extensive tests in Edappal and Ponnani, from where a large number of COVID-19 cases were reported. All those with fever and respiratory problems will be tested. In addition, health workers, hospital staff, bank employees, transport hubs and auto drivers will be tested even if they have no symptoms,” the Chief Minister said.
Kerala, which reported the first three COVID-19 cases in India, has done well to contain the outbreak so far. There have been only 4,189 confirmed cases with only 22 deaths linked to the virus.
Across India nearly 5.5 lakh cases have been confirmed, with 16,475 of those resulting in deaths.